01 09 10

22 March 2015

Sight Words and Fluency Phrases

I created these sight words and fluency phrases to help my students with their reading and reading confidence.  Some of my students, 2 in particular, had a hard time with their confidence in reading and their fluency was a struggle for them.  When I broke it down, by each list, the students were more confident when reading.  They had to read the words first and the words that they didn't know we went over together and used strategies to help with reading and remembering the words.  Once they read all the words, and were confident in knowing the words, I would time them to show them their improvement.  This meant a lot to the students and really built up their confidence in reading.  Once they were able to read the list of words, I had them move on to the fluency phrases.  The phrases are the words on the list put together, so they know all of the words and just had to practice the fluency piece.  Once they achieved the list and beat or matched their time for the phrases 4 times, I moved them on to the next list of words and phrases.  This really built up my students confidence and fluency while reading in guided reading groups as well as on their own.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment