01 09 10

07 June 2016

Teacher Tip Tuesday #5



Whisper Phones

I have two different whisper phones in my classroom.  I have orange ones that I made and I use them during guided reading only.  I  also have white ones that I put out for my students to use while they read to self.

First Graders are still learning to read and sound out words, but they are also still earning to whisper.  When they use the whisper phones it magnifies their sound in their ear and they can hear themselves.

This is always my very first lesson at the beginning of the year when I am getting ready to pull groups.  We practice whispering into the whisper phones and the students think it is so neat that they can hear themselves, but no one else can hear them.  These are very nice when you have students sounding our words.  they are able to sound them out without the whole group hear them.

I made these with plastic corner tubes from home depot.  You can also buy them at any teacher store, but they are usually more expensive.


No comments:

Post a Comment