01 09 10

03 April 2016

Poetry Unit

April is Poetry month!  Our school has us teach poetry writing earlier in the year.  I always try to bring it back for April since it is a fun break from writing stories all the time in class.  The students love poetry and with the weather getting nicer outside I say why not.  My poetry unit is for writing that I just added to my TPT store.  It has examples, planning pages, and writing pages for each type of poem.

This unit is 51 pages long and includes over 12 different types of poems to write.

At the end of the unit, I always have my students turn their hard work into an anthology of all their poems.

We celebrate with a writing share with all of 1st grade.  This year we had some extra time, so we read a few fun poems to the students. Here are some of the books we read poems from to the students from Scholastic.    They really enjoyed being able to share their work with others and listen to their fellow first grade friends and what they wrote about.


What fun things do you do to teach poetry writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment