01 09 10

13 December 2015

Number Talks Dot Cards

I have created the kindergarten number talks dot cards on a PowerPoint to use on the computer or to print out and use as cards. I created these for my team and other teams in my school have used the, as well.  Some teachers prefer the cards while others love having it on their computer to show the students on the smart board.  I like having the cards, but I have used it with the smart board as well.


The purpose of number talks is to get the students talking about how they see the number on the screen/card.  Some students see the dots missing in a ten-frame and other students skip count the dots shown. Even though both answers are different, they are both correct.  Each student will explain their thinking in a different way at because students think differently, and that is ok.  That is also the point of number talks. Students are allowed to think differently and come up with the correct answer.  It also builds the fluency of numbers with the students and allows them to better understand the representation of each number and what it means.

My students enjoy doing number talk cards because they get to talk about the numbers and help each other learn and explain their thinking.  You can get the kindergarten number talks cards here. Enjoy!
You can also get the 1st grade number talk cards here.

No comments:

Post a Comment