01 09 10

12 April 2015

Read, Trace, Write, Color Sight Word Activity

These are activities that I have my students do each week to go along with their homework words.  On Monday's my students get their homework words (sight words) for the week and a packet with 6 different activities for them to do for homework.  I found that a lot of my students were completing the homework, but not gaining a lot from it.  They were still coming into class and didn't know how to spell the words.  I decided to give them spelling tests at the end of each week, not for a grade but to hold the students responsible for learning their sight words.  Throughout the week, I also decided to hold the students accountable for practicing their sight words in class.  This is one activity that I give to my students (usually on Monday of each week) to help them learn and spell their sight words.

The students are to read the word, then trace the word, then write the word with pencil, then write the word with crayon.  It doesn't take long for the students to complete this activity, but I have seen an improvement in spelling since I started this and other activities in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment